Tuesday, September 8, 2009

YOU have a place in orphan care!

Everyone knows there are orphans all over the world.  Either you have seen Compassion or World Vision adds telling you about the needs of Javier in Ecuador or Akim in India.   Maybe you have even see the infomercials of kids wearing little clothing, with bloated bellies, and muted skin between showings of your favorite TV schedule.  What is crazy is that these kids are real.  Not only are they real but they are 143 million strong!  

The LORD has been coming at me in every direction....friends....articles....books.....even celebrities with the message....do something about my children.  Your children?....yes Lord, they are your children aren't they?  Not just nameless faces with no future but individuals who were woven together in their mother's womb by the sovereign God just like you and I.  But Lord, what do I do?  

I battled with how a single woman rescues an orphan.  Do I bring an orphan home to a fatherless house?  Will countries (this country included) allow me to do that?  

Care for my orphans....

Is this something for now or for later?  

I went to an adoption meeting, I searched the web, I read books and became very encouraged and spurred on to adopt.....one day.  But where is my place now?

Then came a message through a huge adoption proponent who showed me that every person has a place in orphan care.  It is less a question of whether or not you were called to care for orphans and more a question of how.  Most adopting families cannot afford the entire bill themselves....give.  Many orphans are unable to be adopted for health or political reasons....go.  Hearts need to be turned to adoption in families all across the nation....pray.  Fundraise, join an adoption ministry and serve, join a family in their adoption process, take short-term or long-term trips and care!

I have found my place caring for the 143 million orphans...have you?


1 comment:

Lauren said...

do you remember jana and kenny cook? do you follow their blog? she is linked on my site, but they just brought their boys home from ethopia! i get chills and bawl when i think of their amazing adoption story!!!